The Smash Creative team has worked on hundreds of homepages. Over the years, we’ve fine tuned some best practices and discovered what makes for a successful homepage. Here’s what our team has learned.
When people visit a website, this is what generally happens:
Of the people who visit a website:
- 10% sign up to try a service
- 5% become active users
- 1% become paying subscribers
- 0.3% stick around and become repeat customers
Note that this is a healthy representation of what could happen. Unfortunately, many websites have a retention problem.
And this problem can be better understood by what we call the “Relationship Status” between your homepage and your referral channels.
In most cases, our clients’ traffic is coming from a social media platform such as Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest. Let’s say your top referer is Instagram, you need to make sure the relationship between your IG profile and your website is SOLID.
Why is this important?
If your Instagram feed features affordable fashion finds and the items listed in your website are luxury items – there’s a disconnect. Same applies for your look, style, tone of voice, etc. You should always ask yourself “How strong is the relationship between my various platforms?”
To help understand what needs to go on your homepage, you should address 5 questions your visitors (whether they’re consciously aware of it or not) will secretly ask themselves:
- Is this the same person who invited me here?
- What is this person about? and can I trust them?
- Where is that thing I just saw on their feed?
- What is the Call to Action? And how quickly does it lead me to the “reward moment” of a product or service?
- What is this product (or service)? What is this “reward moment” that this service provides?
If your homepage can answer all 5 questions clearly, you’re 10 steps ahead of most websites. If you are not sure it does, let us help! Submit a website audit form on our website, and one of our strategists will evaluate your site.
Get a Free Audit
We hope you found this information helpful, and we can’t wait to share more tips with you!